SEVERINI SimoneProfessore Associato
Settore scientifico disciplinare di riferimento
||Università degli Studi della TUSCIA
Struttura di afferenza
DAFNE - Dipartimento di Scienze Agrarie e Forestali
Orari di ricevimentoLunedì e Mercoledì 11:00 - 13:00 (da confermare via email: email@example.com).
• Dates (from – to): December 2005 - currently
• Name and address of employer: Università della Tuscia – DAFNE. Snc, Via S. C. De Lellis, IT-01100, Viterbo, Italy
• Type of business or sector: University
• Occupation or position held: Associate Professor in agricultural economics and policy.
• Main activities and responsibilities: Teaching “Agricultural Policy and Markets” to MSc students; member of the Doctoral program board; teaching “Forestry economics and appraisal” to undergraduate students. Research in Agricultural Economics and Policy.
Research areas: analysis of agricultural policy with an emphasis on ex-ante and ex-post evaluation of CAP policies mostly referring to CAP Pillar 1 measures such as direct payments and market measures. Analyses have been performed by applying mathematical programming and econometric methods at the individual farm level. The focus of research and evaluation is on farm production choices, income level, variability and distribution, as well as the economics of irrigation from both an ex-ante and an ex-post perspective. Most of these research areas have been developed using individual farm level data (e.g. FADN). He has been involved in several policy evaluation exercises commissioned by the European Commission. Resilience and sustainability of farming systems.
AWARDS The paper: Cortignani R., Severini S. (2012). “A constrained optimization model based on generalized maximum entropy to assess the impact of reforming agricultural policy on the sustainability of irrigated areas”. Agricultural Economics, 43 (6): 621-633, has been awarded as “Best Article published in the journal Agricultural Economics” in the year 2012.
ACADEMIC RESPONSIBILITIES: Delegate of the Rector for International Relations (Since November 26th, 2019).
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
• Currently. Leader of the Local Research Unit within the European (Horizon 2020) research project: “Towards SUstainable and REsilient EU FARMing systems (SURE-Farm)”. The project, coordinated by Wageningen University, using resilience thinking, develops a comprehensive resilience enabling framework and applies several assessment tools. It is planning to provide a thorough analysis of the complex challenges to Europe’s agricultural sector and an assessment of relevant policies novel and risk-management tools for farmers.
• 2012-13, “Analysis of the income of Italian farms by means of the FADN database” Within a project regarding the policies related to natural disasters” (Funded by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture).
• 2009-11, AGROSCENARI (Funded by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture): economic analysis on adaptation of Italian agriculture to Climate Changes.
• 2008-13, Project (Funded by the Italian Ministry of Research) "WFD: cost recovery of water services in agriculture".
• 2004-06, PON ATAS (Funded by Italian Institute of Agricultural Economics): economic modelling of water and land use in agriculture.
• 2002-04, MONIDRI INEA (Funded by Italian Government): economic analysis and integrated modelling of water use optimization in agriculture.
POLICY EVALUATIONS AND STUDIES:
For the European Parliament:
• “The EU farming employment: current challenges and future prospects”. Expert collaborating in the study requested by European Parliament's Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development. Study coordinated by ÖIR GmbH, Vienna (Austria).
For the European Commission:
• « Evaluation study of the impact of the CAP measures towards the general objective “viable food production” « (2018). COGEA S.r.l. – Roma (Italy). Final report approved.
• «Evaluation of the structural effects of direct support”. Evaluation of CAP measures concerning sectors subject to past or present direct support – Lot 1: Horizontal issues. Agrosynergie EEIG. Bruxelles, 2013. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/evaluation/market-and-income-reports/structural-effects-direct-support-2013_en.htm
• “Evaluation of income effects of direct support”. Evaluation des mesures de la PAC relatives aux secteurs ayant bénéficié de soutien direct – Lot 1: Questions horizontales. Contrat n° 30-CE-0223110/00-78. Agrosynergie EEIG. Bruxelles, Oct. 2010. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/income/fulltext_en.pdf
• «Évaluation des effets sur les marchés du décuplage partiel». Evaluation des mesures de la PAC relatives aux secteurs ayant bénéficié de soutien direct – Lot 1. COGEA S.r.l. – Roma (Italy). 2010. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/decoupling/index_fr.htm.
• «Évaluation des mesures de la PAC relatives au secteur du riz». Rapport Final. COGEA s.r.l.. Roma, Nov. 2009. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/rice/fulltext_fr.pdf
• “Évaluation des mesures de la PAC relatives au secteur du tabac brut”. Rapport Final. COGEA s.r.l.. Roma, Aug. 2009. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/captabac/index_fr.htm. “Evaluation de l’activation des paiments directs sur les cultures de fruits et légumes dans le modèle régional”. Contrat n° 30-CE-0035027/00-37. Agrosynergie – Groupment Européen d’Intérét Economique, Bruxelles. April 2008. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/eval/reports/directpay/shortsum_fr.pdf
• Currently involved as International team leader in the project: “Turkey: Mapping Agribusiness Support Measures in Turkey Phase III - Support the design of a Monitoring and Evaluation System of the Turkish Agriculture Support Measures in line with best practices”. Frankfurt School of Finance & Management (International Advisory Services).
• National Strategy for sustainable operational programmes (2012) - Italy. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/fruit-and-vegetables/country-files/it_en.htm
• Member of the International Scientific Committee of the173rd Seminar of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE): “Sustainable and resilient farming systems in the European Union”. September 26-27, 2019 – Bucharest, Romania
• Member of the International Scientific Committee of the171st Seminar of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE): “Measuring and evaluating farm income and well-being of farm families in Europe”. 5th – 6th September 2019, Taenikon, Switzerland.
• Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the 7th Conference of the Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA): “Science policy dialogue to face agri-food system challenges”. June, 2018; Conegliano (TV), Italy.
• Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Bio-based Agricultural and Applied Economics (BAE).
• Member of the Programme committee of the 156th EAAE seminar “Prospects for agricultural insurance in Europe”, 3 and 4 October 2016, Wageningen UR, The Netherlands.
• Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee of the 52nd SIDEA Conference: “The value of food”, Rome – FAO Headquarter and Viterbo, 17th – 19th September 2015.
• Member of the Programme Committee of the AIEAA Conference: "Between Crisis and Development: Which Role for the Bio-Economy". Parma (Italy), 6-7 June 2013.
• Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee 109th European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE) seminar: “The CAP after the Fischler Reform: national implementations, impact assessment and the Agenda for future reforms.” Viterbo, 20 – 21 November 2008.
• Chairman of a University program offered by the Department DAFNE (Qualifying course for teaching - TFA).
• Member of the programme committee of the Doctoral program in Economics offered by the Università della Tuscia.
• Evaluator of research project proposals in the EU Framework Programs FP6, FP7 and Horizon 2020.
• Referee for several scientific journals in the field of agricultural economics and policy including Agricultural Economics (IAAE).
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• Dottorato di Ricerca in Agricultural policy. Università della Tuscia, Viterbo (Italy). 1998.
• Master of Sciences in Agricultural and Resource Economics. Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Arizona, Tucson (USA). 1997.
• Specialization in Agro-Food Economics. SMEA - Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Cremona (Italy). 1991.
• Degree in Agricultural Science. Università della Tuscia, Viterbo (Italy). 1988.